Show Side Menu
To view, print or save our practice booklet, click here
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999
Practice News

Living with AMD

View original article on NHS Choices

Help with low vision

Speak to your eye specialist about a referral to a low-vision clinic if you're having difficulty with daily activities.

Staff at the clinic can give useful advice and practical support. For example, they can talk to you about:

  • useful devices – such as magnifying lenses
  • changes you can make to your home – such as brighter lighting
  • software and mobile apps that can make computers and phones easier to use

If you have poor vision in both eyes, your specialist may refer you for a type of training called eccentric viewing training.

This involves learning techniques that help make the most of your remaining vision.

Read more about help and support if you have low vision.

Staying healthy

AMD is often linked to an unhealthy lifestyle. If you have it, try to:

There's some evidence to suggest that certain health supplements might help stop AMD getting worse, but this is not definitive.


Speak to your GP or specialist if you're considering taking supplements for AMD. They're not suitable for everyone.

The Macular Society has more on diet and nutrition for AMD.


AMD can make it unsafe for you to drive. Ask your specialist if they think you should stop driving.

You're required by law to tell DVLA about your condition if:

Find out how to tell DVLA about a medical condition

Monitoring and check-ups

You'll have regular check-ups with a specialist to monitor your condition.

Contact your specialist as soon as possible if your vision gets worse or you notice any new symptoms.

Keep having routine eye tests (usually every 2 years). They can pick up other eye problems that your check-ups do not look for.

Registering as sight impaired

If your vision continues to get worse, you may want to consider registering your sight loss.

This can make it easier to claim financial benefits, such as help with health costs.

Your specialist can check your vision and complete an official certificate if you meet the requirements to be registered.

RNIB has more on registering your sight loss

Getting more help and support

Living with AMD can be very difficult.

In addition to support from your specialist, you may find it useful to use support groups such as:


See a GP if you've been feeling low for more than 2 weeks. They can offer support and treatment if you need it.

Your Neighbourhood Professionals. Just a Click Away!