1.06.21 (Updated 25.6.21)
General Practice Data for Planning and Research (GPDPR)
From 1st September 2021 Queen Edith’s, like all GP surgeries, will legally have to allow sharing of patient data with NHS digital for health and social care planning and research purposes. We are not allowed by law to refuse to share the information.
NHS Digital will also collect information from other healthcare providers, and will be able to publish and share this data. NHS Digital hope to use this data to help NHS planning of local services and to share with research organisations.
You can find out more about how and why NHS Digital want to use your data here:
NHS Digital will not collect patients’ names or addresses. Any other data that could directly identify patients (such as NHS Number, date of birth, full postcode) is replaced with unique codes which are produced by de-identification software before the data is shared with NHS Digital.
This process is called pseudonymisation and means that patients will not be identified directly in the data. NHS Digital will be able to use the software to convert the unique codes back to data that could directly identify patients in certain circumstances, and where there is a valid legal reason.
As a patient you can decide whether or not you wish your data to be shared, and you can tell us not to share your data with NHS Digital. This is known as a Type 1 opt out:
• This is to opt out of GP data sharing with GPDPR.
• Your information will not be shared from our clinical system.
• If you opt out before the end of August 2021, NHS Digital will not extract any of your data.
• You can opt out at a later stage, and no further data extractions will then take place.
• You can opt in again at any stage.
• You can use this online form to indicate your type 1 opt out: https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/manage-your-choice/
• You will find the relevant paper forms here (and on our website): https://digital.nhs.uk/your-data/opting-out-of-data-sharing
• Forms can be posted to or brought in to the practice or can be emailed to us at: email@example.com